Sunday, June 29, 2008

Diapers: Part I - Washables


Oh, how I love the environment, let me count the ways: I recycle, I used aluminum canteens instead of bottled water, I buy and sell used clothing, and I throw out diapers. 

What, what, whaaat?

Yes, I had every intention of using washable diapers ... before the baby was born. I bought inserts and special all-in-one diapers so that the transition would be seamless and great. I tried the all-in-ones. Well, they didn't fit her legs. I got the ones with elastic at the waist and legs, but still lots of leaks and stains (with breast milk poop!). Then, I tried some semi-environmentally safe diapers. They were called G-diapers and have cloth outsides with a disposable (flushable) insert. I thought, "fantastic!" These will solve my problems. Except, these could not hold anything. I used them for a day and I was changing her diaper every hour or so because she was fussy over the mess in her drawers! My daughter is not fussy so I said, "screw that!"

In my experience, washable diapers don't fit but a small number of babies and therefore do not work well. Additionally, you have to wash them twice to prevent stains and reduce detergent residue. The flushable/washable ones might work for you but they did not for me. 

No comments: