Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sleepwear


So, everyone loves those sleep sacks that are sleeveless and zip from the neck down. I don't. Here's why:

(1) If it's cold enough to put them in a sleep sack, then why make them sleeveless? It means that when I have to change a diaper in the middle of the night, that I'm removing, at least, partially, two articles of clothing. Sigh. My time is precious. Correction. My time sleeping is precious.

(2) Initially, you would think that a zipper from the neck down makes a lot of sense, right? And, it works well, except when the zipper pull comes of the track. Imagine this; it's late at night, you are trying to quickly change your little one's diaper, before feeding them, and keep them as mello as possible. You unzip the sack and try to keep it together, but, alas, it comes apart. This means that you are then going to try to, very quietly, put the zipper pull back on track. Where is it located? RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR SLEEPY BABY'S CHIN. No thanks. Next?

For the cold nights, I recommend a sleep sack but those with sleeves and a zipper that ends at the chin. The zipping process is much easier. I had no problems changing diapers with this choice as I just let my babe sleep on top of the unzipped sack.
For warmer nights, I would just use a onesie and a light flannel blanket.

If you baby likes swaddling, go for it. You will know within two weeks of birth if you child likes it or not. My baby, for instance, did not like it because she was restless and like to move her arms. So, I stopped it for a while but once she was two months old, I would still swaddle her on occasion if she got fussy and could not calm down enough to sleep. I would only still do this if I could tell that she was tired. Otherwise, she just got even more fussy trying to get out of the blanket burrito that I put her into.

Finally, just use a blanket to swaddle your little one. Those inventions with the velcro is pretty neat but they are just an extra burden to deal with; it is much quicker to swaddle them in a blanket and there's no velcro on the blanket. Why does this matter? Velcro is a bitch to wash and/or pack away in a drawer.

No comments: