Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Weddings, Nana, and Prenatal testing

So, this past weekend, Rob and I traveled to Toledo, Ohio for my cousin Mike's wedding. I was very excited to be around my family but was interested to see if they would notice my lack-of-alcohol consumption. No one said anything, but I had my "I-had-hives-and-now-I'm-on-super-strong-steroids" story all prepped and ready to go. It was a lovely time and I do not think that anyone noticed my softer-than-usual mid-section. If they did, no one said anything to me, but they probably just figured that I was not working out anymore. (The pasta was great - it fit right in with my most recent cravings.)
I also told my Nana about the pregnancy with my mother and Rob present. She did not really respond. I could not read her at all. I hope that she is excited. I told her that she needs to come visit us in Colorado -- she said, "let's see what the weather is like" (she lives in Rochester, NY, where it does not stop snowing until May).

What is happening with me?
I mostly feel okay; I was going to say good, but I do not want to push it. I am still very tired but try to work through it. I had two awful days on Sunday and Monday of this week. I think it was an "extra blood" day; I felt flushed, hot, flu-ish and generally crappy. Today, however, has been a lot better.

First doctor's visit:
Rob and I have our first doctor's appointment one week from today. I am very excited but nervous that it will not go well and that I will have to find a new doctor. Needless to say, I have not had the best experiences with the doctor and her practice. (She is super nice, as is her head nurse... everyone else is questionable. One nurse practicioner treats me like I am four and a receptionist asked me if I wanted an abortion when I was calling to make my firs prenatal visit).

Rob and I have been talking about Amniocentesis and Chorionic villus sampling (CVS); CVS carries a 1 in 100 risk of miscarriage while amniocentesis carries a 1 in 400 to 1 in 200 risk. Considering my youth and what I know of my family's medical history, I do not think that I would like to get either unless there are abnormalities on the ultrasound. Either way, I think that I would prefer the amniocentesis versus CVS simply because of how the procedure is done... Call me crazy but I'd rather have a long needle shoved in my stomach than up my hoo-ha.

No comments: