Thursday, July 26, 2007

Oh, the horror...

So, about 8:00pm yesterday evening, I thought, "wow, my skin is cleaning up and while itching, it's not too bad." Well, about 8:30pm, I started to get a lot more itchy and I could not figure out what was happening. Unable to sleep, while medicated, and with the welts returning bigger than before and in new locations. When I checked myself at 3:00am, I had hives all over my face and my left eye was swollen. Okay, so I can handle itching and painful welts but when my hands and feet feel like they are going to explode and the medications are not helping -and- my feel is starting to swell, I throw in the towel.

About 3:45am, we (Rob and myself) arrive at the local ER, less than a mile away. It was quiet and I was the only other visible patient. Well, after some stronger meds and iv fluids, I was released. I was able to sleep for four hours in a row whereas for the past three nights, I was not really sleeping. The hives are almost all gone -- my eyess are still swollen and hips are still itchy with welts. Unfortunately, my lab work came back clean and we do not know what caused or is causing this. I am still on strong medications and am worried that after my four day treatment, it will come back.

You know what to do? Besides having a sense of humor and joking about being allergic to pregnancy? You keep a journal of everything you ingest or inhale. That's about it. There is no scratch test or other diagnostic tests - we have done them all.

Anyway, Rob was great, making inappropriate comments and jokes while we in the ER; a truly supportive partner and friend, I was thankful to have him there while I also wished that he were sleeping up for the rest of the day.

No comments: